SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Operations Supervisor at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG Park is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one of a kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome (“The” Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking an unique Operations Supervisor person to join our Operations team. The Operations Supervisor, under indirect supervision of the Operations Manager, directs and coordinates facility personnel, subcontractors, and daily activities involved in the successful preparation and execution of events at the facility. Also, acts as liaison between the facility and clients, ensuring all clients’ requirements are met and facility rules, regulations and policies are adhered to.
• Assist with all aspects of operations including event coordination, equipment maintenance, engineering, event staffing, setups and changeovers, event services, fire and life safety and customer service.
• Supervise operations staff. Responsibilities include interviewing, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Train staff on all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures.
• Prepare work schedules, set staffing responsibilities and review quantity and quality of work performed. Schedule full/part-time employees and subcontracted service providers (stagehands, Temp labor, etc.) according to event demands.
• Investigate, analyze, and resolve operational problems and complaints.
• Act as a liaison with tenants, contractors, and facility users as needed.
• Maintain equipment and inventory. Order all necessary supplies and materials. Coordinate needed equipment with Engineering Department or outside service contractors as needed.
• Report irregularities, discrepancies, damage or loss of property or any other safety concerns to supervisor.
Position requires ability to:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to work both indoors and outdoors as required by the function.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Demonstrate knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services, and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility. Must possess a thorough understanding of facility’s electrical, mechanical, and other systems.
• Demonstrate knowledge of practices and procedures related to event set-up and conversions; typical methods and techniques for cleaning and maintaining the facility equipment; and proper use and care of hand and power tools.
• Have experience with the principles and techniques of supervision, training, budget preparation and purchasing.
• Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility, in particular electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning.
• Understand and work from general instructions, specifications, blueprints, sketches, event documents and preventive maintenance schedules.
• Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
• Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
• Ensuring and following safety measures and regulations for forklift operation.
• Demonstrate ability to carry out tasks in a reliable, productive and expedient manner and be able to adhere to strict deadlines.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
• Meet the physical demands of the job. Must perform strenuous physical duties at times, including lifting, carrying, moving and climbing.
o Must be able to lift 75lbs
o Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-10 hours a day
o Must to able to stretch and reach
• Perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
• Follow all policies/procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules, regulations and emergency procedures established at the facility.
• Work independently, exercising judgement and initiative.
• Work in a fast paced environment.
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
• Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays.
Operate a personal computer using MS-DOS, Windows, Word, Excel or Lotus 1-2-3, and other standard office equipment.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and three (3) years related experience and/or training in the public assembly facility industry in a supervisory or management position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.